I'm a Maritime monkey on a mission to find adventures in my own backyard. I promote Maritime businesses and local vendors in an effort to show why we live in the greatest place in the world. It's a blog that's truly aPEELing for the whole family!
One of the great things that I love about the Halifax Seaport Farmer’s Market is the food. From fresh produce to fresh seafood to hormone-free naturally-fed chicken and beef to local artists creating anything from jewellery to sculptures to paintings, the market never fails to provide something new and unusual. And better yet, it’s all local!!
This, obviously, leads me to the focus of today’s post: Pat’s Preserves.
I was actually talking to another vendor at the market when Pat waved me over. He had seen me on Twitter (I’m becoming a local celebrity, y’know) and wanted to know more about me and the website. In turn, I wanted to learn more about his business.
It turns out that Pat has been cooking since the age of 13 and it’s his passion. He served in the Armed Forces for 21 years as a cook, so once he ended his service he decided to keep busy by selling his homemade preserves. What originally started as a hobby, has now developed into a business venture.
Over the years, Pat has developed a number of recipes including a variety of jams and jellies, not to mention marinades and BBQ sauces. And on top of everything else, he even makes a variety of fudge, too!
So if you’re walking through the Halifax Seaport Farmer’s Market, stop by Pat and say “hello”. He can certainly do a better job of telling you the fine details on his wonderful food products than I can.
Where can you find Pat’s Preserves other than at the market every Saturday?
- NATURES COVE HEALTH FOOD STORE, 364 BEDFORD HIGHWAY
- EMMA’S EATERY in Eastern-Passage, ( Jams & jellies & Chow with her Fishcakes )
- QE11 Farmer’s Market, Fridays from830 to 2pm (centennial building VG) ( all products )
- HEPPYS, at the corner of Purcells Cove Road and Herring Cove Road in Halifax,
- LOCAL JOE, CORNER OF OXFORD AND LIVERPOOL IN HALIFAX
- MARYANN’S, 1106 COLE HARBOUR ROAD, DARTMOUTH
- MURPHY’S THE CABLE WHARF, HALIFAX WATERFRONT
- MA BELLE’S CAFE,OCHTERLONEY STREET, DOWNTOWN DARTMOUTH
- WWW.LISCOMBELODGE.CA, LISCOMBE LODGE RESORT AND CONFERENCE CENTER
- OBLADEE WINE BAR ON BARRINGTON STREET, HALIFAX